Monday, March 12, 2007

Solving for angle on TI-89 in limited range

Even though you can use the inverse trig functions to find an angle, sometimes i'd rather just have my calculator to solve an equation with the variable inside a trig function. This works fine except that you get all the possible solutions, and if you want to find the solution in say [0,pi] you have to figure it out yourself. When I ask it to find an answer in a limited range it gives me all the answers anyway.
Any ideas on how to make it give you an answer in a given range?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but I have a lot of experience at getting my calculator to tell me that the angle I'm looking for is 360. I think it's more reliable to use "x" instead of "cos^-1(x)" and to just plug x into the inverse cosine function.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Donovan said...

or you could graph it in the limited range, find the interceps, and use the exact( function from the home screen.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home